ILP Frequently Asked Questions

How can we get professionals on the same page with maximizing use of Chafee Funds to support ILP youth? At times, there are differences in opinion among county staff and State DHR around what’s permitted according to local funds policy?

Policy is intended to be used as a guide and not to restrict a social worker’s capacity to meet the needs of youth. If a child has a need in some area, it’s best to discuss the matter with the youth and ISP team and consult with ILP Consultant around any barriers. A list of “allowable expenses” has been provided to staff in efforts to stimulate ideas and creativity around spending funds. 

Which youth are eligible for after care payment of $1,000? Policy says “start-up” cost for housing. Do they have to be getting their own house to receive after care payment? 

In fiscal year 2012, it was decided that very youth that exits the system is eligible for the one time after care payment of $1,000, which must be processed prior to the youth leaving care. If a vendor is not identified, the Department may write the check directly to the youth.

When a youth is low functioning and the Daniel Memorial is not a productive tool in the case planning process, what should the social worker do in those instances?

When a youth does not have the capacity to complete the Daniel Memorial Assessment even with hands on assistance, the social worker should clearly document deficits in the case plan and identify goals with simplicity in mind. 

What are some suggestions for social workers when a youth is very resistant to discharge planning and conversations about his or her future?

Social workers should stay the course and never give up on discharge planning for any youth. In cases where progress is not noted on a consistent basis, social workers are encouraged to change his or her approach and seek assistance from supervisor or another skilled professional who may be able to facilitate a productive conversation. Every youth is different and what works for one may be ineffective for the next youth. Therefore, techniques have to be individualized to the actions, behaviors, communication, etc the youth is demonstrating or exhibiting at the time. Please refer to www.fosterclub.com for helpful tools and resources or seek consultation from your State ILP Consultant or Youth Consultant. 

How can we inspire teens to be more enthusiastic about learning Independent Living Skills in general?

In general, social workers need to understand the thinking pattern and brain development of teenagers and become familiar with how grief and loss impact their decision making process. It would also be helpful to practice active listening skills and give youth permission to identify the skills he or she would like to learn then guide them along that path. Since youth are generally influenced by their peers, it would be good to solicit suggestions from a foster care alumni and possibly pair the youth with a buddy or mentor for inspiration. 

What if I have a “Youth Success Story” that I would like to share with ILP staff across the state?

There is a lot of value in sharing success stories. While it allows staff to celebrate their young person, it also offers encouragement to other staff who might be struggling with their teens. Counties are encouraged to write a brief description and email information to Arema Granger at Children’s Aid Society for inclusion on the IL Connect Website.   
How do we provide ILP services for youth that are low functioning and not appropriate for a group setting?

Some youth have educational, cognitive, and mental deficiencies where they would be better served in a non traditional environment. In cases of this nature, counties are encouraged to seek providers skilled around the challenge to assist with either providing a group session or helping in some capacity. One may also contact a nearby college about students in need of an internship or volunteer hours to help with this population in some capacity. While the provision of services may vary from youth to youth depending on their level of functioning, the efforts and commitment should be the same.   

What services can be offered to a youth that’s about to exit care with no connections, resources, and high risk for homelessness? 

While a formalized after care program is not available at this time, there are some things the worker can do to help a youth in this situation. First, schedule a Transition Plan meeting timely with all parties and focus on next steps. Provide the youth with as much information as possible about area resources and what to do in emergency situations. Refer to www.fosterclub.com for a list of “21 things every youth needs before he or she leaves foster care” and incorporate that information into the case planning process. Also, download a “Permanency Pact” and help the youth connect with someone to provide supportive services.  

I’ve heard about NYTD surveys in training, but I don’t have youth on the list for upcoming surveys. Does that mean I’m exempt from having to know all about NYTD? 

You should still be knowledgeable about NYTD.  NYTD is ongoing and although you may not have a youth in the baseline now, the chances are that you will have eventually have youth that will be involved.  Additionally all staff should be knowledgeable because it is Policy and also a Federal mandate.  

Should staff provide youth with an incentive for completing the NYTD survey?

Yes, a $25 incentive has been approved from county ILP funds

What’s the process for entering the special incentive of $25 in FACTS for a youth no longer in foster care that completes the NYTD survey? 

If the youth is no longer in foster care the incentive will be paid using a demand payment.  This can be accessed through FACTS and the ADMIN module: Admin>Fin Admin>Accounts Payable>Payment Vch>Demand Payment. 

Is there an incentive for youth to attend DREAM Council meetings?  

Each DREAM Council member is granted a special incentive in the amount of $75 per meeting. This incentive must be noted in the youth’s ISP and should be disbursed from your county ILP funds. If you have foster care alumni representing your county, please complete a W-9 and use demand payment.

How can we access the Youth Independent Living Consultant for training or a speaking engagement in our county?

The Department of Family & Children Services has a contract with Children’s Aid Society to support Independent Living efforts statewide. Requests for training and county support should be directed to Ebone Kimber, Supervisor, with advance notice. Once an assessment of the need has been made, they will work with counties to provide the training and/or speaking engagement if possible.   

How do we know which Independent Living State Office Consultant is assigned to our county?

Effective January 1, 2013, the counties were divided between two consultants. Please go to IL Connect to see which consultant is assigned to your county.

Is it possible for our office to get someone from the State Office to provide ILP Training?

The ILP Consultants provide Regional ILP Consultations throughout the year in various locations. The sessions cover the following topics: Overview of ILP, Chaffee Funds, Permanency for older youth, ISP’s Transition Planning, and NYTD. This is a great opportunity for new and veteran staff to learn more about meeting the needs of older youth. Please refer to www.ILConnect.org for a schedule of the upcoming sessions and hold the date for the one in your region. Additionally, an ILP Networking conference is held annually, which provides two days of in-depth information about ILP needs, trends, best practices, etc. Slots are provided to all 67 counties. 

What if I have a youth that’s experiencing problems with ETV?

ETV has a very user friendly website that can be accessed by youth and social workers. The youth can see the status of an application and if additional information is needed.  An ILP Consultant reviews and approves all pending applications of youth still in foster care and makes an eligibility decision based on the information reported. That information is electronically routed to ETV staff responsible for sending funds directly to the youth. If a youth is experiencing difficulty with ETV, he or she may contact ETV directly, IL Consultant at 334-214-5826. 


Popular Posts